Wednesday 29 May 2019

Launching For The People - Anelia Schutte





Guest Speaker Anelia Schutte

Luncheon at Buitenverwachting on Thursday 13 June at 12 noon for 12h30


Anelia Schutte grew up in Knysna, lives in London and is currently based in the United States. She will be in Cape Town for a short time to promote her book For the People.
It is an interesting Biography/Autobiography based on her life in Knysna...

Anele says:

“I never thought I had a book in me. Not until, while on a writing retreat, I started remembering the stories. Stories my parents had told me when I was growing up. Of riots. Of secret meetings. Of phones being tapped. Of my mother driving through barricades of armoured vehicles and burning cars to help the black people on the other side. Stories of how she stood up to the police for arresting and detaining honest people. And eventually left her job because my father didn’t want to raise me and my brothers alone.

Snippets of memories from a childhood I hadn’t thought about for twenty years.

I wanted to know more; to find out what had really happened in my hometown all those years before.

I put my job in London on hold, got on a plane and went back to Knysna to find the truth.

What I found was a story much bigger than my mother. It was a story of a whole community, black, white and brown, torn apart and brought together by apartheid.

For the People is that story.”



The Restaurant

We are hoping to sit on the Terrace overlooking the mountains and the beautiful vineyards at Buitenverwachting. Menu available on request  The price per person is R440 inclusive of wine and service.

Please telephone Sandy on 021 685 8016 to book or for more information sandybailey@telkomsa.net .

Published by Jonathan Ball Publishers




No comments:

Post a Comment